How do you keep the motivation to earn online going?

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 17, 2013
Messages
30,013
Reaction score
4,706
Points
283
Age
39
Location
Leeds
Seen a few posts around here and on other forums about how people seem to get demotivated with this whole 'earn money online' world that we are trying to live in.

All it can take are a few knock backs from companies and it can be enough to make you wonder if it is really worth carrying on or worse still, if the problem is you yourself.

I have been knocked back by loads of 'work online' companies. I have also sunk money into ventures that I thought would work out for me but never did, I have already accepted it as being part of the parcel of wanting to earn money online.

I think belief and confidence has a lot to do with it you know. Looking for companies to work for online is a little different than finding a regular job. You can find something in the next 30 mins, apply and be up and running straight away. If you wanted to make a blog to earn money from you can just buy a domain, install WordPress and away you go. Equally while the opportunities are there the knock backs are as well. If you don't get into something that others are talking about that can be demotivating, maybe a site like this is actually counteractive at times and creates a sense of 'well everyone else is doing it' which can be detrimental to your ongoing attitude if you don't 'get in' on said method.

Do you find it hard to keep applying for thing after thing or just you just accept it as part of the learning curve and it will take months before you find your fit, if not longer?
 

Darcey

Money Making Megastar!
Joined
May 10, 2014
Messages
596
Reaction score
0
Points
126
Thanks for posting this Jon, it's relevant to how I've been feeling this past few days and it's nice that you acknowledge that not everyone is feeling the success straight away.

Like you say, there is always something else around the corner to apply for and people on here are very generous in posting links to new opportunities.

I realise I'm really quite new to all this online earning, having only started in May with Ebay sales and my Purecontent and have only started doing surveys this past week so I guess it's a case of being patient and waiting for things to fall into place to see what is working.

It can be demotivating when you feel that most other people are having great success when you're not, it can also put you off posting or participating in threads if you've not had much success yourself that day!

Since my diary post yesterday where I was feeling disappointed in my progress this month I 've now joined Roamler and done a couple of tasks. I qualify for a paid one already which is the banana check in a store which I will be passing on my way to do the weekly shop so feeling a bit better about that £2 I will hopefully earn for 10 minutes work that's not out of my way. So a bit more optimistic this morning!

Mystery dining have asked if I want to apply for the mystery hotel stays. I will have to write a 250 word report about a previous stay to qualify so will crack on with that today.

Thanks again for posting this and acknowledging that people do struggle - it's reassuring and shows that TMS is such a supportive community to be part of :)

Darcey
 

FreeSwagSites

Money Making Megastar!
Joined
Jan 25, 2014
Messages
750
Reaction score
12
Points
128
Jon@TheMoneyShed said:
Seen a few posts around here and on other forums about how people seem to get demotivated with this whole 'earn money online' world that we are trying to live in.

All it can take are a few knock backs from companies and it can be enough to make you wonder if it is really worth carrying on or worse still, if the problem is you yourself.

I have been knocked back by loads of 'work online' companies. I have also sunk money into ventures that I thought would work out for me but never did, I have already accepted it as being part of the parcel of wanting to earn money online.

I think belief and confidence has a lot to do with it you know. Looking for companies to work for online is a little different than finding a regular job. You can find something in the next 30 mins, apply and be up and running straight away. If you wanted to make a blog to earn money from you can just buy a domain, install WordPress and away you go. Equally while the opportunities are there the knock backs are as well. If you don't get into something that others are talking about that can be demotivating, maybe a site like this is actually counteractive at times and creates a sense of 'well everyone else is doing it' which can be detrimental to your ongoing attitude if you don't 'get in' on said method.

Do you find it hard to keep applying for thing after thing or just you just accept it as part of the learning curve and it will take months before you find your fit, if not longer?
I think that different types on online work have different challenges in terms of staying motivated.
For me, it is seeing some progress whether that be more visitors or more commissions. I can imagine that if you are going down the other route of freelance online jobs it can be very disheartening to be rejected for posts that you think are suitable for you.

I prefer the freedom of blogging because I can write about anything I want and I can control my own destiny to a certain extent. The more I write, the more chance I have of attracting visitors and so I just get on with it.

I suppose it also helps not to have to rely on it to pay the bills. I can imagine that this added stress would cloud my judgment and make it more difficult - just like a poker player that "needs" to win to pay the rent will probably make bad decisions.

A few other random thoughts:

1. Dogged determination is no guarantee of success, but is the minimum required to give yourself a chance;
2. Leave your ego in the offline world - if your great idea doesn't work you have to be prepared to accept that fact and move on;
3. Get a thick skin - rejection is part of life and you've just got to deal with it when you are self-employed and have no HR department to hide behind or help you out.
4. Stick at it for at least 6 months before you decide that it's not working;
5. When something goes wrong, don't just move on - analyse why you failed first so that you can avoid the same mistakes;
6. Even if it's not your main source of income, treat it like a business and not a hobby;
7. Join a forum of like minded people who can support you and offer good advice ;) It is better to have Jon (and others) giving you their harsh (but honest) opinion than have people just tell you that it's all great when it's not.

Ps. The most successful people usually fail at more things than unsuccessful people. They succeed because they just refuse to give in. I don't imagine Bill Gates' first ever idea was MS. It's a bit like those blokes that seem to get billions of girlfriends despite being pretty ordinary looking - they ask out 10 people every day and hey presto a few of them say yes.

PPS - you need to find what you are good at. I am obviously very bad at following simple instructions sometimes because I rush things. So, I failed the "whats my app" test for failing to state to tomorrow's weather and it took my 3 goes to complete a Roamler ice cream task because I kept photographing the wrong thing!
 

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 17, 2013
Messages
30,013
Reaction score
4,706
Points
283
Age
39
Location
Leeds
Darcey said:
Thanks for posting this Jon, it's relevant to how I've been feeling this past few days and it's nice that you acknowledge that not everyone is feeling the success straight away.

Like you say, there is always something else around the corner to apply for and people on here are very generous in posting links to new opportunities.

I realise I'm really quite new to all this online earning, having only started in May with Ebay sales and my Purecontent and have only started doing surveys this past week so I guess it's a case of being patient and waiting for things to fall into place to see what is working.

It can be demotivating when you feel that most other people are having great success when you're not, it can also put you off posting or participating in threads if you've not had much success yourself that day!


Since my diary post yesterday where I was feeling disappointed in my progress this month I 've now joined Roamler and done a couple of tasks. I qualify for a paid one already which is the banana check in a store which I will be passing on my way to do the weekly shop so feeling a bit better about that £2 I will hopefully earn for 10 minutes work that's not out of my way. So a bit more optimistic this morning!

Mystery dining have asked if I want to apply for the mystery hotel stays. I will have to write a 250 word report about a previous stay to qualify so will crack on with that today.

Thanks again for posting this and acknowledging that people do struggle - it's reassuring and shows that TMS is such a supportive community to be part of :)

Darcey
Have never thought that people may be feeling that way. I guess if you have had a bad day in terms of earnings or getting knocked back by a company it can have a knock on in terms of wanting to participate in a community dedicated to nothing BUT earning money online.

TheRewardGuy said:
Jon@TheMoneyShed said:
Seen a few posts around here and on other forums about how people seem to get demotivated with this whole 'earn money online' world that we are trying to live in.

All it can take are a few knock backs from companies and it can be enough to make you wonder if it is really worth carrying on or worse still, if the problem is you yourself.

I have been knocked back by loads of 'work online' companies. I have also sunk money into ventures that I thought would work out for me but never did, I have already accepted it as being part of the parcel of wanting to earn money online.

I think belief and confidence has a lot to do with it you know. Looking for companies to work for online is a little different than finding a regular job. You can find something in the next 30 mins, apply and be up and running straight away. If you wanted to make a blog to earn money from you can just buy a domain, install WordPress and away you go. Equally while the opportunities are there the knock backs are as well. If you don't get into something that others are talking about that can be demotivating, maybe a site like this is actually counteractive at times and creates a sense of 'well everyone else is doing it' which can be detrimental to your ongoing attitude if you don't 'get in' on said method.

Do you find it hard to keep applying for thing after thing or just you just accept it as part of the learning curve and it will take months before you find your fit, if not longer?
I think that different types on online work have different challenges in terms of staying motivated.
For me, it is seeing some progress whether that be more visitors or more commissions. I can imagine that if you are going down the other route of freelance online jobs it can be very disheartening to be rejected for posts that you think are suitable for you.

I prefer the freedom of blogging because I can write about anything I want and I can control my own destiny to a certain extent. The more I write, the more chance I have of attracting visitors and so I just get on with it.

I suppose it also helps not to have to rely on it to pay the bills. I can imagine that this added stress would cloud my judgment and make it more difficult - just like a poker player that "needs" to win to pay the rent will probably make bad decisions.

A few other random thoughts:

1. Dogged determination is no guarantee of success, but is the minimum required to give yourself a chance;
2. Leave your ego in the offline world - if your great idea doesn't work you have to be prepared to accept that fact and move on;
3. Get a thick skin - rejection is part of life and you've just got to deal with it when you are self-employed and have no HR department to hide behind or help you out.
4. Stick at it for at least 6 months before you decide that it's not working;
5. When something goes wrong, don't just move on - analyse why you failed first so that you can avoid the same mistakes;
6. Even if it's not your main source of income, treat it like a business and not a hobby;
7. Join a forum of like minded people who can support you and offer good advice ;) It is better to have Jon (and others) giving you their harsh (but honest) opinion than have people just tell you that it's all great when it's not.

Ps. The most successful people usually fail at more things than unsuccessful people. They succeed because they just refuse to give in. I don't imagine Bill Gates' first ever idea was MS. It's a bit like those blokes that seem to get billions of girlfriends despite being pretty ordinary looking - they ask out 10 people every day and hey presto a few of them say yes.

PPS - you need to find what you are good at. I am obviously very bad at following simple instructions sometimes because I rush things. So, I failed the "whats my app" test for failing to state to tomorrow's weather and it took my 3 goes to complete a Roamler ice cream task because I kept photographing the wrong thing!
I don't agree with this in regards to working for other companies. Blogging maybe but if you are working for say a Mystery Shopping company and it isn't clicking for you or you are not getting back what you want from it than another 6 months isn't going to change that.
 

busybusy

New Member
Joined
May 14, 2014
Messages
373
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I have posted before - I find it very eroding. Without sounding arrogant I know that I am not stupid and I am not scared of a bit of hard work yet I am struggling to find anything that is more than pennies. And I have to agree other people over celebrating their own success does not always help.

The only thing that keeps me at it as I am some times too stubborn for my own good.

I know my strengths and weakness which is why I have never chased any of the party plan or Avon/Betterware type of work. I also do not know a single person who has tried and succeeded at this type of money making. I appreciate there maybe someone who does but I believe that they are the somewhat unique.

At the moment the money is not needed for bread and butter, only the jam on top. However by the end of the year my husband will be self employed rather than employed, the last time he did it I had a full time wage and we had no children. Although he has put no pressure on me to earn extra money for the family (he is far too lovely to do that) I have put pressure on me.

I really am such a hippy so I have to put my faith in something will turn up when the time is right.
 
Q

queen81

Guest
busybusy said:
I have posted before - I find it very eroding. Without sounding arrogant I know that I am not stupid and I am not scared of a bit of hard work yet I am struggling to find anything that is more than pennies. And I have to agree other people over celebrating their own success does not always help.

The only thing that keeps me at it as I am some times too stubborn for my own good.

I know my strengths and weakness which is why I have never chased any of the party plan or Avon/Betterware type of work. I also do not know a single person who has tried and succeeded at this type of money making. I appreciate there maybe someone who does but I believe that they are the somewhat unique.

At the moment the money is not needed for bread and butter, only the jam on top. However by the end of the year my husband will be self employed rather than employed, the last time he did it I had a full time wage and we had no children. Although he has put no pressure on me to earn extra money for the family (he is far too lovely to do that) I have put pressure on me.

I really am such a hippy so I have to put my faith in something will turn up when the time is right.
Several years ago I worked as a party planner for Ann Summers. During my four years with the company I made on average £300 a week from parties, and for two of those years I had a team of 15 lovely ladies who I "guided" and earned about £400 a month from doing that alone.

I am somewhat unique.
 

FreeSwagSites

Money Making Megastar!
Joined
Jan 25, 2014
Messages
750
Reaction score
12
Points
128
busybusy said:
I have to agree other people over celebrating their own success does not always help.
One of the best things about this forum is that people post their successes and failures honestly for all to see and learn from.
How else are we to identify what works and what doesn't and, if it does work, how much effort is required to achieve it? It removes the veil of secrecy that often hides the truth about online money making and that is a good thing.

If I hadn't read stories of other people saying that they earned zero as affiliate marketers for the first 3 months before things started to pick up, I might have quit at that stage and thought that it was just me failing to achieve.

Likewise, if Jon (and others) didn't post their monthly earnings at 63336 how would anyone that was considering this line of work get a true impression of what was possible?
 
Q

queen81

Guest
TheRewardGuy said:
busybusy said:
I have to agree other people over celebrating their own success does not always help.
One of the best things about this forum is that people post their successes and failures honestly for all to see and learn from.
How else are we to identify what works and what doesn't and, if it does work, how much effort is required to achieve it? It removes the veil of secrecy that often hides the truth about online money making and that is a good thing.

If I hadn't read stories of other people saying that they earned zero as affiliate marketers for the first 3 months before things started to pick up, I might have quit at that stage and thought that it was just me failing to achieve.

Likewise, if Jon (and others) didn't post their monthly earnings at 63336 how would anyone that was considering this line of work get a true impression of what was possible?
Jon is ace at what he does. My monthly earnings were a mere £220, but I'm still learning and I was over the moon with it. You're right, there's no point in hiding the truth- as you can see there is quite a big difference between mine & Jon's earnings, but I'm pleased Jon posts his as it gives me something to work towards :)
 

busybusy

New Member
Joined
May 14, 2014
Messages
373
Reaction score
0
Points
0
That is great QUEEN81 that Anne Summers worked for you and I was not having a go at party plans.
However I know someone (not the same person) who has done Anne Summers, Bluebella, Phoenix Cards, Virgin Vie, Avon, Betterware, Kleenze, Usborne Books, Juice drinks, Pamper Chef, Jamie at Home, Body Shop, some jewellery thing and some others that I can't think of. And not one of them have made anything of great meaning from it. I was not denying that you could however I personally have never seen it.
 

FreeSwagSites

Money Making Megastar!
Joined
Jan 25, 2014
Messages
750
Reaction score
12
Points
128
queen81 said:
TheRewardGuy said:
busybusy said:
I have to agree other people over celebrating their own success does not always help.
One of the best things about this forum is that people post their successes and failures honestly for all to see and learn from.
How else are we to identify what works and what doesn't and, if it does work, how much effort is required to achieve it? It removes the veil of secrecy that often hides the truth about online money making and that is a good thing.

If I hadn't read stories of other people saying that they earned zero as affiliate marketers for the first 3 months before things started to pick up, I might have quit at that stage and thought that it was just me failing to achieve.

Likewise, if Jon (and others) didn't post their monthly earnings at 63336 how would anyone that was considering this line of work get a true impression of what was possible?
Jon is ace at what he does. My monthly earnings were a mere £220, but I'm still learning and I was over the moon with it. You're right, there's no point in hiding the truth- as you can see there is quite a big difference between mine & Jon's earnings, but I'm pleased Jon posts his as it gives me something to work towards :)
The 63336 thing sounds like it takes a while to get used to the system and learn how to do responses quickly. I imagine smoke coming off his fingers as he frantically shares the latest celebrity gossip with mugs customers asking questions. I also bet has some great bookmarked pages to speed up the process too - like the different names for the male appendage that he was discussing a couple of weeks ago.
 

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 17, 2013
Messages
30,013
Reaction score
4,706
Points
283
Age
39
Location
Leeds
Just out of interest BusyBusy did you get much support from those that recruited you when you worked for Ann Summers? - I was always under the impression that those above you are super duper supportive, is that not that the case and maybe its once they have your sign up you are left to it?

How did you find it Queen81?
 

Blackpepper1

Money Making Megastar!
Joined
Feb 7, 2014
Messages
3,003
Reaction score
196
Points
193
I agree that earning online can be difficult and it is hard to stay motivated especially if you put all the effort in but still can't make the money like other people do.
I am not one to give up on anything that I can see has potential. I will try things out and see how they go for at least three months and if I find then it isn't worth my time or effort or is definitely not working for me I will just let it go.
I used to belong to loads of different sites and gradually I got that amount down to a few decent sites that I really enjoy earning from and work for me.
Everyone is different though what works for some may not work for others.
I enjoy what I do so that keeps me motivated as well as being a member of this Forum and the green site which helps to keep the motivation going plus new opportunities may come along that are going to help me even more.
The advice and help from the group here at TMS is the best I have ever experienced.
You do need support from people that are also trying to earn online that does make a difference and it is encouraging to see other people progressing well through The Money Earning Diaries Section.
Great Forum and nice people. A good mix. :)
 

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 17, 2013
Messages
30,013
Reaction score
4,706
Points
283
Age
39
Location
Leeds
TheRewardGuy said:
queen81 said:
TheRewardGuy said:
busybusy said:
I have to agree other people over celebrating their own success does not always help.
One of the best things about this forum is that people post their successes and failures honestly for all to see and learn from.
How else are we to identify what works and what doesn't and, if it does work, how much effort is required to achieve it? It removes the veil of secrecy that often hides the truth about online money making and that is a good thing.

If I hadn't read stories of other people saying that they earned zero as affiliate marketers for the first 3 months before things started to pick up, I might have quit at that stage and thought that it was just me failing to achieve.

Likewise, if Jon (and others) didn't post their monthly earnings at 63336 how would anyone that was considering this line of work get a true impression of what was possible?
Jon is ace at what he does. My monthly earnings were a mere £220, but I'm still learning and I was over the moon with it. You're right, there's no point in hiding the truth- as you can see there is quite a big difference between mine & Jon's earnings, but I'm pleased Jon posts his as it gives me something to work towards :)
The 63336 thing sounds like it takes a while to get used to the system and learn how to do responses quickly. I imagine smoke coming off his fingers as he frantically shares the latest celebrity gossip with mugs customers asking questions. I also bet has some great bookmarked pages to speed up the process too - like the different names for the male appendage that he was discussing a couple of weeks ago.
lol,

The thing is 63336 is just one of MANY ways I earn money online. my week is filled with Shop'and'scan, Field Agent, Roamler, applying for focus groups and all sorts of other bits and bobs.

Whenever I read of someone on here earning money via their blog I find that a real motivation to try and get my ass in gear and get into all that.

When fromalditoharrods setup Milk The Blog within a couple of weeks and had it bringing in cash just as quick I was amazed but I realise just how much hard work must be involved in something like that.
 

busybusy

New Member
Joined
May 14, 2014
Messages
373
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Oh I have never done Anne Summers, I know someone (that isn't code for the someone was me!!), well two people. Both of them in different parts of the country. Can't comment on the support they had but feedback was starter kit and keeping kit up to date, plus guest gifts ate too much into any earnings. I have no reason to distrust what friends are telling me.
 

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 17, 2013
Messages
30,013
Reaction score
4,706
Points
283
Age
39
Location
Leeds
Blackpepper1 said:
I agree that earning online can be difficult and it is hard to stay motivated especially if you put all the effort in but still can't make the money like other people do.
I am not one to give up on anything that I can see has potential. I will try things out and see how they go for at least three months and if I find then it isn't worth my time or effort or is definitely not working for me I will just let it go.
I used to belong to loads of different sites and gradually I got that amount down to a few decent sites that I really enjoy earning from and work for me.
Everyone is different though what works for some may not work for others.
I enjoy what I do so that keeps me motivated as well as being a member of this Forum and the green site which helps to keep the motivation going plus new opportunities may come along that are going to help me even more.
The advice and help from the group here at TMS is the best I have ever experienced.
You do need support from people that are also trying to earn online that does make a difference and it is encouraging to see other people progressing well through The Money Earning Diaries Section.
Great Forum and nice people. A good mix. :)
Even last week when you said you were earning from your blog, that impressed me and again shows that there is money to be made and the only way is up in terms of adding more content and getting your blog out there more and more.
 
Q

queen81

Guest
Jon@TheMoneyShed said:
Just out of interest BusyBusy did you get much support from those that recruited you when you worked for Ann Summers? - I was always under the impression that those above you are super duper supportive, is that not that the case and maybe its once they have your sign up you are left to it?

How did you find it Queen81?
I enjoyed it. I got loads of help and we regularly attended meetings and workshops to help build our business. I left because I fell pregnant with my son and I was really tired and poorly, especially of a night time. It's the kind of job where you get back what you put in - I made a big effort to concentrate on party games as the lasses at the parties loved them and it always secured repeat business. Other party organisers thought I was crackers cos they just did a couple of shit games and cracked on with getting sales in - but my way worked for me.
 

Blackpepper1

Money Making Megastar!
Joined
Feb 7, 2014
Messages
3,003
Reaction score
196
Points
193
Jon@TheMoneyShed said:
Blackpepper1 said:
I agree that earning online can be difficult and it is hard to stay motivated especially if you put all the effort in but still can't make the money like other people do.
I am not one to give up on anything that I can see has potential. I will try things out and see how they go for at least three months and if I find then it isn't worth my time or effort or is definitely not working for me I will just let it go.
I used to belong to loads of different sites and gradually I got that amount down to a few decent sites that I really enjoy earning from and work for me.
Everyone is different though what works for some may not work for others.
I enjoy what I do so that keeps me motivated as well as being a member of this Forum and the green site which helps to keep the motivation going plus new opportunities may come along that are going to help me even more.
The advice and help from the group here at TMS is the best I have ever experienced.
You do need support from people that are also trying to earn online that does make a difference and it is encouraging to see other people progressing well through The Money Earning Diaries Section.
Great Forum and nice people. A good mix. :)
Even last week when you said you were earning from your blog, that impressed me and again shows that there is money to be made and the only way is up in terms of adding more content and getting your blog out there more and more.
Yes I hope to increase the earnings from my Blog even more. The content is building up and I am always keeping an eye out for ideas on content. It is passive income.
 
Q

queen81

Guest
busybusy said:
Oh I have never done Anne Summers, I know someone (that isn't code for the someone was me!!), well two people. Both of them in different parts of the country. Can't comment on the support they had but feedback was starter kit and keeping kit up to date, plus guest gifts ate too much into any earnings. I have no reason to distrust what friends are telling me.
It might have changed now, but I used to go to a card warehouse and pick up a load of stuff that women uses for hen parties - things like willy whistles, mahoooosive pretend vibrators, fluffy handcuffs, willy water pistols, stuff like that. Cost me pennies. Also, the company used to sell off their old stock to us at very reasonable prices - ideal for a hostess gift. I can't comment on how your friends ran their business but in the 4 years I did it, I never struggled to hold 3-4 parties a week.
 

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 17, 2013
Messages
30,013
Reaction score
4,706
Points
283
Age
39
Location
Leeds
busybusy said:
Oh I have never done Anne Summers, I know someone (that isn't code for the someone was me!!), well two people. Both of them in different parts of the country. Can't comment on the support they had but feedback was starter kit and keeping kit up to date, plus guest gifts ate too much into any earnings. I have no reason to distrust what friends are telling me.
Yeah I get what you are saying, I don wonder if these franchises need to be exploited more online rather than doing off line partys but I suppose the partys are part of their brand.

Just out of interest that what would help keep you motivated in regards to this site, is there anything you would like to see that would help give you a push? or maybe something that you would want to see less of? - I am always up for an open discussion about how The Money Shed can help motivate people more.
 

joeg

New Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2014
Messages
168
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Most online work is not well paid, it takes ages to make anything worthwhile. It took me a year to earn 20 pounds with inbox pounds big deal. I think pinecone are the best.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Amazon Discount Finder Tool

Find hidden 80%+ savings on Amazon products



 

 

 

 

 

 

 


TMSPRESTO