Reed.co.uk

Storm89

Active Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2015
Messages
105
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Reed are currently offering a lot of courses at huge discounted rates, so if anyone is looking for something to bulk up their CV or just wanting to learn a new skill it may be worth a look.

I'm currently in the process of applying for new jobs in bookkeeping/accounting and the one thing that regularly comes up is 'having good knowledge of excel' which I haven't :( my knowledge is bare minimum. Reed are offering a beginners course for £14 (usually £149.99), which to me sounds like a really great price and will put me at an advantage when applying. I'm already doing a bookkeeping course through the home learning college with my exam for foundation course being in less than 2 weeks!! so don't want to take on too much, but it says it's roughly 90 hours to complete and you do have a year to do so.

Just curious as to whether anyone has ever done a course off of Reed or whether there is a free way to learn excel (other than trial and error)

Thank you :)
 

flowerpower

New Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2016
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
Points
0
There are loads of free Excel tutorials and information online, I did a quick search "excel courses free" and came up with loads of hits, for example http://excelexposure.com/ Also there are Excel books available - e.g. try local library
You could set aside a few hours a week to improve your Excel skills, and just work through some of those?

Personally, I wouldn't like to spend money on a course for it unless you really feel it would add value to have a specific course about it on your CV, or you need the motivation of having a course to complete to learn it.
 

Jacobbarnard

Active Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2015
Messages
311
Reaction score
1
Points
36
Storm89 said:
Reed are currently offering a lot of courses at huge discounted rates, so if anyone is looking for something to bulk up their CV or just wanting to learn a new skill it may be worth a look.

I'm currently in the process of applying for new jobs in bookkeeping/accounting and the one thing that regularly comes up is 'having good knowledge of excel' which I haven't :( my knowledge is bare minimum. Reed are offering a beginners course for £14 (usually £149.99), which to me sounds like a really great price and will put me at an advantage when applying. I'm already doing a bookkeeping course through the home learning college with my exam for foundation course being in less than 2 weeks!! so don't want to take on too much, but it says it's roughly 90 hours to complete and you do have a year to do so.

Just curious as to whether anyone has ever done a course off of Reed or whether there is a free way to learn excel (other than trial and error)

Thank you :)
Personally I'd do the course as it'll look good on your cv, rather than learning it yourself and having nothing extra on your cv, also £12 isn't that much really.

I'm going to look into the other courses on there as that's an amazing discount! Are these courses online?
 

The Reverend

The Reverend
Staff member
Joined
Oct 6, 2015
Messages
2,953
Reaction score
800
Points
313
Website
thereverend.co.uk
Jacobbarnard said:
Storm89 said:
Reed are currently offering a lot of courses at huge discounted rates, so if anyone is looking for something to bulk up their CV or just wanting to learn a new skill it may be worth a look.

I'm currently in the process of applying for new jobs in bookkeeping/accounting and the one thing that regularly comes up is 'having good knowledge of excel' which I haven't :( my knowledge is bare minimum. Reed are offering a beginners course for £14 (usually £149.99), which to me sounds like a really great price and will put me at an advantage when applying. I'm already doing a bookkeeping course through the home learning college with my exam for foundation course being in less than 2 weeks!! so don't want to take on too much, but it says it's roughly 90 hours to complete and you do have a year to do so.

Just curious as to whether anyone has ever done a course off of Reed or whether there is a free way to learn excel (other than trial and error)

Thank you :)
Personally I'd do the course as it'll look good on your cv, rather than learning it yourself and having nothing extra on your cv, also £12 isn't that much really.

I'm going to look into the other courses on there as that's an amazing discount! Are these courses online?
I would always choose the free way to learn something like Excel. No-one is going to care you have a Reed.co.uk branded excel course on your CV. Get yourself trained up on one of the many free courses there are and on your CV just write "Intermediate Level Excel" Or whatever is appropriate. I'd go so far to say if I saw a Reed branded course I'd probably think "here is someone who got mugged off by Reed into buying one of their shitty courses. If they are able to search online for on-line courses and they end up at reed.co.uk then they probably don't have the 'expert web investigation/interrogation' skills they are mentioning elsewhere on their CV"

The discount is nothing. look at groupon or somewhere like they. loads of online courses worth hundreds apparently but the reality is no-one would spend that much on them so the real price is what they are being sold for. Personally, do free online courses and save yourself the £15.
 

Falanouc

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2016
Messages
870
Reaction score
71
Points
48
I would recommend starting off with free courses too. However if you do want something with proof of completion, why not try sites like

https://alison.com/search/result/?q=excel
https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/categories
https://www.coursera.org/courses?query=excel&languages=en

All of these are free (Alison has some paid diploma courses). You can pay for a certificate. These are not credited courses but can still be used on your CV as CPD.
 

Storm89

Active Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2015
Messages
105
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Thank you very much :D I was talking to a friend the other day and she said she could teach me a bit anyway, but I will look into the free courses as well. I think I need to concentrate on the course I'm already doing and not take on too much so at least this way I can do so at my own leisure.
 

askgar

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2014
Messages
1,460
Reaction score
5
Points
48
The Reverend said:
Jacobbarnard said:
Storm89 said:
Reed are currently offering a lot of courses at huge discounted rates, so if anyone is looking for something to bulk up their CV or just wanting to learn a new skill it may be worth a look.

I'm currently in the process of applying for new jobs in bookkeeping/accounting and the one thing that regularly comes up is 'having good knowledge of excel' which I haven't :( my knowledge is bare minimum. Reed are offering a beginners course for £14 (usually £149.99), which to me sounds like a really great price and will put me at an advantage when applying. I'm already doing a bookkeeping course through the home learning college with my exam for foundation course being in less than 2 weeks!! so don't want to take on too much, but it says it's roughly 90 hours to complete and you do have a year to do so.

Just curious as to whether anyone has ever done a course off of Reed or whether there is a free way to learn excel (other than trial and error)

Thank you :)
Personally I'd do the course as it'll look good on your cv, rather than learning it yourself and having nothing extra on your cv, also £12 isn't that much really.

I'm going to look into the other courses on there as that's an amazing discount! Are these courses online?
I would always choose the free way to learn something like Excel. No-one is going to care you have a Reed.co.uk branded excel course on your CV. Get yourself trained up on one of the many free courses there are and on your CV just write "Intermediate Level Excel" Or whatever is appropriate. I'd go so far to say if I saw a Reed branded course I'd probably think "here is someone who got mugged off by Reed into buying one of their shitty courses. If they are able to search online for on-line courses and they end up at reed.co.uk then they probably don't have the 'expert web investigation/interrogation' skills they are mentioning elsewhere on their CV"

The discount is nothing. look at groupon or somewhere like they. loads of online courses worth hundreds apparently but the reality is no-one would spend that much on them so the real price is what they are being sold for. Personally, do free online courses and save yourself the £15.
You pretty much summed up exactly my thoughts, if we see things like that on CVs here we laugh and move on.
 

deepgc

Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2016
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Points
11
As a bit of a whizz with Excel, I can safely say that the more you use it, the better you will become.

I would suggest the various tutorials on line as mentioned, and get to grips with basic formula, formatting, pivot tables.

The great thing is, when you're comfortable with Excel it's actually a great tool and can be used for pretty much everything.

But, back to the main point, put the time in no matter what you do, practice, practice, practice! :)
 

TMSPRESTO

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
5,517
Messages
151,118
Members
8,211
Latest member
daPlugNathan

Latest profile posts

All it takes is a positive mind
Tesco selling chocolate santas already !!!
Back to a new normal next week, and I need to get my butt into gear to actually have time to do things! Anyone else horrendous at time management?
(Insert interesting content here)
Now have a Son in Law, and have become the 'dreaded' Mother in Law. Many congratulations to Hazel and Matt who got married on 10th August, at the Centre for Alternative Technology, Machynlleth, North Wales. It was a fab weekend away and the most unconventional but personal wedding ever!