[OT] Discussion about matched betting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dorual

New Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2014
Messages
111
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hello. Just opened up a Betfred account and deposited my first £10 via paypal. Then I read you must deposit via debit card for your first time (and with all first tiem deposits). Dammit! Why? And will I not get my free bet now?

I used Paypal with Coral and Betfair and still got the free bet.
 

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 17, 2013
Messages
25,395
Reaction score
2,640
Points
283
Age
38
Location
Leeds
Always use debit cards to make deposits
 

Dorual

New Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2014
Messages
111
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Why though Jon? And I haven't so far - does it matter? Will I get my free bet?
 

SirV

New Member
Joined
Feb 23, 2015
Messages
610
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Dorual said:
And what does "waiting unmatched" mean on Betfair??!
Your lay bet is not matched meaning there is not enough money in the market. When you lay a bet e.g the lay is £21.75 the small figure under the odds is the amount of money in the market at that price. If its less that your lay then it will go unmatched until there is more money in the market at that price.
 

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 17, 2013
Messages
25,395
Reaction score
2,640
Points
283
Age
38
Location
Leeds
Dorual said:
Why though Jon? And I haven't so far - does it matter? Will I get my free bet?
If the deposit needs to be don't by debit card to get the offer (as many offers do) you will end up losing out on the offer

If your money is going
Debit card > PayPal > bookie

Why not just have it go

Debit card > bookie
 

xDPS

New Member
Joined
Sep 20, 2015
Messages
104
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Anybody around? have made a mistake on a back/lay and not sure if my fix is right or not
 

Steve1912

Money Making Megastar!
Joined
Aug 7, 2014
Messages
86
Reaction score
2
Points
128
After dithering for 5 years at doing matched betting, I'm finally going to give it a go, inspired by this thread. When I was last doing some online betting, my debit card was Maestro and therefore was fee free. It occurred to me when unlocking my old Betfair account yesterday that my debit card is now Mastercard. Their site says that there's a 1.5% fee for depositing using Mastercard. Does this apply to Mastercard debit cards or just Mastercard credit cards?
 

askgar

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2014
Messages
1,460
Reaction score
5
Points
48
Steve1912 said:
After dithering for 5 years at doing matched betting, I'm finally going to give it a go, inspired by this thread. When I was last doing some online betting, my debit card was Maestro and therefore was fee free. It occurred to me when unlocking my old Betfair account yesterday that my debit card is now Mastercard. Their site says that there's a 1.5% fee for depositing using Mastercard. Does this apply to Mastercard debit cards or just Mastercard credit cards?
Just checked and it's only a 1.5% fee for MasterCard Credit Cards, there is no fee for MasterCard Debit.
 

SAFC2403

New Member
Joined
Aug 10, 2015
Messages
143
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Won £32 this morning on secrets of the phoenix on virgin games - that takes my total this week to over £70.

Enjoying slots on there at the minute!!
 

Pbrail

Money Making Megastar!
Joined
Feb 8, 2015
Messages
906
Reaction score
92
Points
148
Well, I've been mad busy the last couple of months so haven't been online too much. I don't often stray from the Bloggers forum but on a whim I had a little browse and my eye was caught by this huge nearly 500 page long thread and I got curious....

After much browsing, consider me IN! I doubt I'll ever be a 'big player' or anything, but reckon every now and then this could be fun and more money is always good :)

On the free trial of PA (clicked your banner [member=1]Jon[/member] :D ) at the moment and just laid my qualifier at Coral. Have bet on a horse running soon-ish - 1) because I was impatient and didn't want to wait for the footie to finish before I could confirm that I'd done everything right before placing the free bet and 2) because Coral offer a Best Price Guarantee on the nags so if it wins and it's odds drift then I might luck out with a little extra.

If I've done it right then it's an 0.19/0.18p loss on the qualifier.

Wondered if anyone had any suggestions about Betfair though. When opening my account I went via Quidco which is offering £20 Cashback for £10 deposit/£10 wagered on the Sportsbook. Betfair themselves have also given me a £10 wagered/£10 Free Bet.

Obviously I can't lay against Betfair Sportsbook in the Exchange - with the Cashback it should theoretically not matter because the Cashback exceeds the minimum wager, but I'm always a little antsy about Cashbacks in case they are not paid out down the line, in which case I'd be £10 down if both the wager and the follow free bet lost.

Shall I just suck it up and consider this a limited risk thing or am I missing a trick?

Excited to be on the Matched Betting Hype Train - toot toot! :D
 

auntygeek

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2014
Messages
1,494
Reaction score
11
Points
58
[member=1315]Pbrail[/member] Sign up to Smarkets exchange - they also give you a £10 bonus when you lose with them so that's another offer you'll want to do. Back a bet on BF Sportsbook and LAY ON SMARKETS... do exactly the same as for your Coral qualifier but suggest you do it on this afternoon's Premiership games. Loads of good matches to be had. Then you'll qualify for cashback :)

You can do all the cashback offers with the bookies - just make sure you wager as required within 3 days with Quidco - and lay off all the bets so it's risk free.
 

auntygeek

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2014
Messages
1,494
Reaction score
11
Points
58
Danny said:
Jon said:
It will be that refund then... Newcastle scored 90th minute which made you lose your bet.. So you got the bet refunded...
Merrily reading this the other day... forgetting I put a big mug on that (also to qualify for cash back lol)... sign in today and surprised to see a £25 fb... then I remember!! Put it on a double, £21.50 profit wooohooo. Also had a £10 fb from bet 5 get 10 offer...

Those are basically two fb I got when just mugging. The profits from the fb will pay for my mugging for another few weeks :D
 

Pbrail

Money Making Megastar!
Joined
Feb 8, 2015
Messages
906
Reaction score
92
Points
148
auntygeek said:
[member=1315]Pbrail[/member] Sign up to Smarkets exchange - they also give you a £10 bonus when you lose with them so that's another offer you'll want to do. Back a bet on BF Sportsbook and LAY ON SMARKETS... do exactly the same as for your Coral qualifier but suggest you do it on this afternoon's Premiership games. Loads of good matches to be had. Then you'll qualify for cashback :)

You can do all the cashback offers with the bookies - just make sure you wager as required within 3 days with Quidco - and lay off all the bets so it's risk free.
Ok, thanks, will go check them out now!

Might be a bit tight getting on a footie match as I'm in that paranoid "I need to check everything at least 50 times because overnight I have apparently turned into an idiot and don't trust myself" mode. I know it's a long game though and confidence will come, so if I miss those matches I'm sure I'll find something else, even if it's not super-stellar exciting, hehe.
 

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 17, 2013
Messages
25,395
Reaction score
2,640
Points
283
Age
38
Location
Leeds
Well Kane has scored

That 1 out of 5 for my £900+ £5 accumulator with Stan James
 

Checky

New Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2015
Messages
1,613
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Jon said:
Well Kane has scored

That 1 out of 5 for my £900+ £5 accumulator with Stan James
I was about to check that! Saves the hassle! Roll on the Stan James acca's!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Pbrail

Money Making Megastar!
Joined
Feb 8, 2015
Messages
906
Reaction score
92
Points
148
Well I appear to have survived getting my qualifier right, my donkey lost, the money is back in Betfair and I'm going for the freebet now. Newbie question no.2 of the day then.

Coral didn't give me a straight £20 bet but rather 4x£5. PA said to just put all 4 on the same bet but am I right in thinking there is no disadvantage - aside from perhaps an odd few pence lost in the lay deal - to doing it as 4 different bets? I know it's easier to do as one as less faffing around finding good deals, but I thought it might be a good way to get some practice at lower layoff amounts, plus would be more 'mug' looking.
 

mabozza

White Van Roamler Man
Joined
Nov 17, 2015
Messages
3,179
Reaction score
598
Points
293
Age
52
Location
Clydebank
Website
www.facebook.com
Hi guys
I have another headscratcher here, I am bumbling my way thru the beginner offers on PA and I am at one for Ladbrokes exchange... win or lose £100 (4 x £25) and they give you a £25 free bet, now, before I stuck £100 in there I thought I hadn't noticed Ladbrokes mentioned as an exchange in the oddsmatcher, I just did a few random in the oddsmatcher and checked up to 10 pages of matches and not a single one is Ladbrokes exchange... so does Ladbrokes exchange only operate certain days or something? or is it just an outdated offer for something that is no more? Bit confused by this.
Thanks
 

stonecrows

Active Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2015
Messages
476
Reaction score
9
Points
38
Pbrail said:
Coral didn't give me a straight £20 bet but rather 4x£5. PA said to just put all 4 on the same bet but am I right in thinking there is no disadvantage - aside from perhaps an odd few pence lost in the lay deal - to doing it as 4 different bets? I know it's easier to do as one as less faffing around finding good deals, but I thought it might be a good way to get some practice at lower layoff amounts, plus would be more 'mug' looking.
I agree with this. If you're doing football, I find it good to have certain teams that you bet on; try to get some mugs on them and when there's a good match with them, use them so then it looks like you're a bit of a footie fan picking bets for the teams not the odds.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.